Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Cursive Song...FREEBIE!

click here to snap this freebie...don't forget to follow my TPT store :)
As you will see...I love using music in the classroom in meaningful, engaging ways. So the night before I was about to start teaching the uppercase letters to my eager 3rd graders I realized that when I began teaching them cursive I emphasized that the number one rule was that you never pick up your pencil when writing a word in cursive.

Once again panic ensued inside of me...and the thoughts of students blurting out "Miss Holmes but you said we never pick up our pencils" on uppercase "F" day.  So I decided to make lyrics to the "we will rock you" beat.  And the next morning I would explain that the uppercase letters are different and sometimes they are "rule breakers" unlike the lowercase letters.

Since we did cursive as the last 15 minutes of our writing block, the song also served as a successful transition and re-committed the students to learning while reminding them that some of the uppercase letters are "rule-breakers" when they don't connect with others.

Now, the kids sing it all the time and catch me if I forget to start it...hehe.
Hope you get some use out of this lil' ditty! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment