Saturday, February 9, 2013

Boys Valentine Box Ideas

Considering I am outnumbered in this house 2:1 you would think that the girly holidays might get looked over or craft time might be a chore for my boys...but that is the farthest from the truth. These 2 bubbas love to make things for me and to build new DIY projects for the house. I will have to assemble a collage of all the cool things they have made together! But that is for another snowy Saturday...and this house needs a good scrub so I'll get to it! :)

We got a letter home from the little Bubba's school letting us know that our Feb. home project was to make a Valentine box and send it in for his first Valentine party.  Initially, we thought we would just wrap a shoe box in some Valentine paper that I had left-over from last year, cut a slit in it and call it a day.

But then I starting thinking about how boring that would be and very "girly" for my little guy who is very much a lover, but all boy! (aside from me walking in on him watching a show called "Sophia the First" this morning..which is about princesses?...I didn't ask :) 

Boys Valentine Box Ideas

So after perusing the internet for inspirations we compiled 11 of our favorites to share with you.  I searched and searched for links with tutorials...some have them and some do not, but I tried my best to investigate and put my two cents in to how I would recreate the!

Thanks to all the creative Moms and Dads out there for sharing their homemade beauties to inspire our "all about the boy" Valentine's Day card boxes!

1. Despicable Me Minion: no tutorial...but looks like simply a kleenex box, craft paper, old buttons and tin foil with the mouth of the minion being the card slot. Here is a picture a Minion from the movie for a little inspiration.

2. iphone valentine box: no tutorial...but I took a screen shot of my home screen and uploaded it here if you can't find one anywhere else. This is JPG file that just needs to be enlarged to fit the size box (cereal, tissue, shoe) you have on hand. Then wrap the box in black or white paper and cut a slit at the top.

3. icee cup: The girls over at barnnumber2.blogspot.com have some really cute boy Valentine ideas. The icee picture is up on their blog and I studied it a little and to me it looks like tissue paper mod podged onto an extra large drink cup with a sturdier than usual icee-style lid and spiral straw. The natural hole in the lid would serve as the card opening. The icee polar bear can be mod podged on as well and here is the link to a jpg of him. Super cute!
**This could also simply be done with an extra large icee cup you get at 7-11 just cleaned out really well! :)

4. Minecraft box: small disclaimer...I know nothing about the world of Minecraft other than my students like it and its a video game. That being said...this box simply looks like different hues of brown and tan squares glued onto a square box with eye holes cut out of it. I think this image was originally the head to a Halloween costume, but could easily be adapted to a Valentine box if this is the one for you.  From the little research I did, the image above is a pretty good replica of the head in the game. :)

5. Val Monster: Mariah, over at gigglesgalore.net has an awesome tutorial for her little guy. When I saw this on pinterest it reminded me of the tattle monsters I had seen for the classroom and sure enough those where her idea too! This looks relatively easy and can double as a tattle monster in your own home or classroom. (which reminds me...I need to make a few of these for my classroom!)

6. Pirate Ship: Find your way to mypartybug.com for a mini-tutorial on this cute pirate ship that could easily be adapted for a wide age-range of pirate-loving boys! (we decided on the hockey one before my little guy saw the ship and something tells me we might end up with a Jake and the Neverland Pirates version of this cutey!)

7. Lego: Lynsee and Heidi over at theprettypoppy have a great tutorial for the lego box which seems simple and cheap as long as you have a few items on hand! Thanks girls...this Valentine box is TOTAL BOY!

8. Darth Vader: Jami, over at blackberryvine has different pictures of what her Darth looks like with a general supply list that could easily be tailored to what you have on hand. This one would need a little creativity, but if you have a Star Wars fan in your home...I am sure that little imagination would love to help make this guy come to life!

9.  There are a good amount of robot Valentine boxes that  I scoped out. They seem fairly simple and cheap to put together...the color scheme and details are endless. Here are a few more that caught my eye: tinfoil guy, airduct guy, and  fancy robot guy from bhg.com, 

10.  Hockey Box: no tutorial. But we are going to use a pool noodle, a shoe box, and other craft paper along with some Blackhawks scrapbooking materials I picked up from Michaels. I will upload the finished result with a tutorial when we're done! :)

11.  Monkey Box: Tara, over at firefliesandflutterbyes.com has a super-detailed tutorial on her blog. So click on the link to check it out!

All these choices sure made it hard for us to decide on our Valentine's Day box...Hope this helps you...and HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!

Here is what my guy will be rocking come Val Day! 
under $10 at macys.com!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for including my Valentine's monster boxes in this fun round up of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including our Icee cup in your ideas. It is exciting to be on someone else's blog. I was unable to reply to you directly so I am trying to connect here. Below is a link to instructions to change your settings so others may be able to respond too (hope it isn't to presumptuous of me). Happy Wednesday!
    http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2012/05/no-replywe-all-might-be-one.html

    ReplyDelete